This weekend the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts is presenting a special presentation of the Off-Broadway hit comedy Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man. In this show, no topic is taboo.
Set in the auditorium of a local university, author Dan Anderson is this month’s featured guest of a meet the authors series presented by the English department. Things go hilariously array when he and his hunky and staged assistant Stefan, turn this mild mannered event into an interactive sex tip seminar.
Prior to taking the Ordway Concert Hall stage as Dan Anderson, actor Grant MacDermott sat down to discuss his career and Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man.
- How did you first become interested in theatre?
I grew up in New Jersey right outside of New York City so we were always there seeing shows and stuff. At first I didn’t understand theater, “is this just a one-time thing?” Then I realized that this happens every day and it could be your job and I thought, “that. I want to do that.”
2. Every performer has that moment where it just “clicks” and they know performing is what they want to do for a living. What was that moment for you?
I kind of have that moment a lot. Any time I make an audience burst into laughter I think, “yeah, this is where I belong.” And any time I see anyone on stage I idolize or a show that moves me, I always think that I need to continue to be a part of that.
3. The life of an actor is often referred to a gypsy lifestyle. What do you enjoy about moving between projects, working in different cities? What is the downfall of the gypsy lifestyle of an actor?
I get to see all kinds of places others would not and I get to see all kinds of life others would not. My schedule is sort of the opposite of most of the world so I get to observe how 80% of the population lives.
But sometimes you get homesick.
4. You play Dan, how would you describe your character?
He is a fun, warm, quick, connecting guy. He wants everyone to get along and to have fun doing it. Always room for a joke and a smile. And sex is ever a dirty word.
5. What do you hope the audience takes away from Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man?
I hope they laugh so much that their bellies and cheeks hurt and then I hope they go home and practice all the tips. Laughter and sex. Can you think of a better day?
Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man has three performances in the concert hall at the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts in Saint Paul this weekend. For more information on the show, or to purchase tickets visit the Ordway’s website.